College bound kids & financial aid

College bound kids & financial aid

I have a 13 and 15 year old. The each have $60,000 in mutual funds from grandfather. I show little income, but have 2 investment properties worth $1 million besides my house that is worth $625,000. Can anything be done to gain financial aid, ie moving assets to trusts, or at least the kid's and emancipating them in some fasion?


If your children have $60,000 each in mutual funds these assets will be counted towards the calculations colleges will make in awarding financial aid. Your investment properties should each be owned by a separate limited liability company for asset protection reasons (a tenant suing on a property should not reach all your personal assets, such as your house). You could, in order to minimize estate taxes etc. form a master or holding company LLC which could become a family investment vehicle. That master LLC could own the two LLCs that own the investment properties. This might be a great plan unrelated to the financial aid issue. Your kids could contribute their mutual funds to the master holding. If you're married and you divided your 1/2 interest with your wife, your kids contributions would reduce each of you and your wife's ownership to less than 50% which would have beneficial estate tax, state estate tax (if applicable) and other consequences. The bottom line from a financial aid perspective is that your kids would now own non-liquid non-controling interests in a family business. This might be counted as far less valuable for financial aid purposes (what is the value of their interest? Arguably a lot less than $60,000). Your kids are young. The rules may change many times before they apply.

Our Consumer Webcasts and Blogs

Subscribe to our email list to receive information on consumer webcasts and blogs, for practical legal information in simple English, delivered to your inbox. For more professional driven information, please visit Shenkman Law to subscribe.

Ad Space