Durable Power of Attorney

Durable Power of Attorney

Are there compelling reasons to have children going to college (age 18 and older) put in place a DPA or medical directive?


Yes. If a child (who must be the age of majority or adult to sign (execute) legal documents like a power of attorney, living will or health proxy) is off to college they should sign these documents. If the child is away at college, especially at a distance, if an issue arises that needs to be taken care of at home (e.g., a CD the child invested in matured, a tax bill from the IRS arrives) you need a power of attorney to help take care of these matters. If the child should be sick or injured, once an adult, you need a power, medical directive, etc. to be able to make medical and financial decisions for the child. Signing these documents should really be a right of passage of everyone celebrating their 18th birthday (or whatever the age of majority is in your state).

Our Consumer Webcasts and Blogs

Subscribe to our email list to receive information on consumer webcasts and blogs, for practical legal information in simple English, delivered to your inbox. For more professional driven information, please visit Shenkman Law to subscribe.

Ad Space