Settlement agreement

Settlement agreement

I signed a marital settlement agreement friday under duress, now I see that it was a mistake. Nothing has been filed yet and I want to get out of the agreement I signed. Can I?


Call your divorce lawyer immediately. If you did not have an attorney representing you when you signed that might be a basis to avoid the agreement, depending on the facts. However, if you had an attorney representing you, and your attorney reviewed the agreement before you signed it, it is not clear how the situation would be duress. Get help quickly, this is not the type of question to address with free advise. You really need an attorney.

Our Consumer Webcasts and Blogs

Subscribe to our email list to receive information on consumer webcasts and blogs, for practical legal information in simple English, delivered to your inbox. For more professional driven information, please visit Shenkman Law to subscribe.

Ad Space