By: Martin M. Shenkman, CPA, MBA, JD

Qualified Personal Residence Trusts are special house trusts designed to transfer principal residences to your kids while minimizing gift tax. The trustees must deed the house to the kids (or to trusts for them, depending on the language QPRT). The kids need to insure the house and lease it back to you and you need to pay fair rent. Sign a written lease. The kids should sign a document governing their ownership of the house to avoid issues later.

Our Consumer Webcasts and Blogs

Subscribe to our email list to receive information on consumer webcasts and blogs, for practical legal information in simple English, delivered to your inbox. For more professional driven information, please visit Shenkman Law to subscribe.

Ad Space